Friday, July 19, 2013

Finding My Positive Body Image During Pregnancy

For those who don't know, this is my first pregnancy. My first time feeling extra pounds on my body. My first time feeling fatigued to the point of falling asleep standing up. My first time not being able to wear whatever I want. You get it, right? Being an athlete all my life; and in recent years a fitness enthusiast and trainer, all of these body changes have been overwhelming at times.

Not to say I haven't had body image issues in the past... I have. In high school I experienced a small bout of an eating disorder, and in college it went into full-blown anorexia. Fortunately, with the help of friends, family and my Savior, I came out of it. It's a struggle every day. So you can imagine that all of these changes more than freaked me out! In the beginning I thought, "ok, this is really not what I signed up for." I felt no control {hello, Type A, perfectionist, prone-to-eating disorders psycho!}. It was just something I just hadn't prepared myself for -- because you really can't until it happens.

Moving forward though, my focus has shifted. I finally realized how selfish it is to worry about your body when you are carrying your own child -- I mean, shouldn't {she} be the focus??? Duh, Kati! You are being selfish!!!! So, with much encouragement from my wonderful husband and family/friends, my body image has changed for the better. I am now enjoying pregnancy much more and feel very special. I also feel much more enthused to exercise and eat healthy because I am happier. I'm sure Ramsay Kate appreciates this :)

I feel like there has to be many other women out there that feel the same way I do... The loss of control makes you do weird things. Especially if you are Type A or have been through an eating disorder. Once you let go and enjoy the ride, it becomes a lot more fun! I think that choosing to be happy and thankful is a much better way to go!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment